Does the idea of visiting the dentist fill you with fear? Do you dread dental appointments of any kind? If so, Dr. Carver, Stakias, Mather, and Mather, and our team want to help you feel more relaxed at Kingsport Dentistry. You are not to only person to feel this way–it’s common to experience anxiety about the dental office. We encourage you to talk with our dentist ahead of time to discuss whether you would benefit from relaxation techniques such as:
– Bringing someone with you to your visit: We recommend asking a family member or friend who doesn’t have dental anxiety so that they can provide support, comfort, and reassurance during the treatment session.
– Practicing relaxation techniques: Control your breath to slow your heart rate and induce relaxation in the dental chair. Inhale deeply and hold it in for several seconds, then slowly release your lungs. You can do this as many times as needed.
– Bringing something to occupy your mind: Notify our team ahead of time if you would like to listen to music, read a book, or watch a movie.
– Having a “stop” signal with the dentist: Developing a signal such as blinking your eyes a certain number of times or making an uncommon sound helps you have more control over your visit because you can notify dentist if you need to pause treatment.
– Consider sedation dentistry: Dr. J. Kenneth Carver can help you determine if a sedative will help you feel more relaxed. Depending on your need, he may recommend nitrous oxide, oral sedation, or even IV sedation.
Contact our dental office at 423-247-5175 today if you would like to learn more about how to treat dental anxiety in Kingsport, Tennessee.